The Botany Libraries' reading rooms are open to all researchers regardless of academic affiliation but registration is required. Harvard users should present a valid Harvard I.D or other form of identification when arriving. Non-Harvard visitors are asked to present government-issued identification that includes a photograph and proof of a current address.
Registering and Requesting Materials
The Botany Libraries use the HOLLIS Special Request for patron registration and to process requests. First-time researchers may register prior to or upon arrival. Instructions for creating an account are located here
Using your Harvard Library Special Collections Request Account account, researchers can:
submit requests for materials using a form or via links in the catalog record
submit requests in advance of a visit to a libraries or while at the libraries
submit requests for copies of materials
track the status of each request
access detailed information about past requests
- The Botany Libraries' collections do not circulate; all materials are examined in the reading rooms. Users may page materials from the Orchid and Farlow collections until 4:30 p.m. Materials from the Arnold, Gray, and Economic Botany collections may be retrieved until 4:45 p.m.
- All types of bags or enclosures and coats must be stored in the spaces provided in the reading rooms.
- Personal cameras, scanners, or other electronic devices may not be used without permission.
- Food, drinks, and phone conversations are not permitted in the reading rooms.
- Users may use personal items for taking notes. Pencils are provided, but pens are not permitted.
- Researchers may be asked to wear gloves or wash their hands before handling rare materials and/or photographic materials.
- All materials should be handled with care. Library staff will offer instruction to users in proper care and handling. Book cradles and weights are available at the service desk.
The archival collections of the Botany Libraries are open without fee to all adult researchers regardless of academic affiliation. Researchers may consult materials from the archives only by advance appointment. To make an appointment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once an appointment is confirmed materials must be requested using HOLLIS Special Request. Instructions are available for creating an account and for placing a request. Please allow one week for the processing of requests.
In addition to our General Policies, please be advised of the following when using archival material:
- Researchers must complete a permission form to document the use of archival collections.
- Archival materials should be kept in the order in which they are presented.
- Researchers should not mark, annotate, trace, or alter original material in any manner.
- Photocopies or other images may be reproduced with the permission of the Archivist.